Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I'm Back....and so is the baby!

I am finally finding time to post, it has been a very busy couple of weeks! This time of year, I am always trying to get some outside spring cleaning done. I have been very busy doing yardwork, and am currently working on painting the board fence that goes around our yard and paddock. I worked all day yesterday and a couple hours today pressure washing it to clean it and strip what little paint was left on it off. Tomorrow I will start painting, and I figure it will take me until the weekend to get it fiinished. But it needs it terribly bad, LOL.....it has been about 8 years since it was painted, so I am looking forward to seeing it when it is finished!

Well, the twin bull calf is back with us.....we had put him back on his mama, and although she was letting him nurse some, we were still having to supplement him with a bottle. Sometimes she would let him nurse and sometimes she would kick him away. His twin sister is literally almost twice his size, so we made the decision to bring him back to the house and keep him in a paddock so I can up his milk, and get him started on feed. He is healthy and strong, but pretty small and is gonna need some TLC. I don't mind, he is so much fun!

Here he is this morning waiting on his bottle.....



Here's his favorite thing to do, LOL..........




John Boy and Billy are in the adjoining paddock, and they watch every move the calf makes, here is Billy looking over the gate watching him nurse..........




John Boy Posin' for the camera...........




John Boy and Billy trying to stick their noses through the gate to get a better look.......




And this is John Boy's favorite.....every morning he comes up to get his big ole head scratched (and I do mean big, LOL)....Billy is a little skittish and doesn't like to be petted alot, so he took off when I got the camera out.......



Well, I have tons of things to do, but I am gonna try to post more often, hope everyone is having a great spring, I know we are. It is hectic around here, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

2 comments:

  1. OMG that calf is to die for!!!! What a cutie! Look a that face! We are waiting on our fist calfs this year... I can't wait! How much more time can it take... I mean some are showing good signs of calving soon. We've been expecting a calf anytime soon for 3 weeks now and STILL nothing!

    Those mules are HUGE! Do you ride them? I wonder what that would be like! Good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dandy......I know, we are expecting several calves any time now too.....one cow in particular is ready to drop any day...her bag literally looks like it is going to burst, and her teats are sticking straight out!! We check her every morning and every night, but nothing yet! I guess they will deliver when they get ready, LOL.

    This pair of mules are coming 3 year olds. They are around 17 hands and about 1500-1600 pounds each. They should get even bigger. These are not broke to ride, they are just now getting trained to pull a wagon and are doing very well. We have a new pair of black mules that are 5 year olds and are very, very well broken to a wagon....they will stand for hours hooked to the wagon not tied to anything, just loose, and won't move a muscle. They are about the same size as this pair, so probably won't get much bigger. Then we have the sorrell pair that are 18 hands and weighed in last fall at 3600 pounds as a pair. They are 4 year olds and pull a wagon and work. We don't ride the mules, just the horses, LOL....although I wouldn't mind having a little riding mule, but right now, we have our hands full with these 6 and our 4 horses!

    ReplyDelete